THE MIRACLE OF AMERSFOORT

Maria zart van edeler art

een rose in den dooren

du hebst mit macht herweder bracht

dat lange was verloren

door Adams val di heft gewald

sint Gabriël versproken

help dat nit werd gewroken

mien sund en skuld

verwerf mi huld

want gen troost is

wer du nit bist

bermhertichheit verwerve

in't leste end

ik bid nit wend

van mi in mine sterve

Maria mild du hebst gestild

der altvaders verlangen

die jaar en dag in wee en klach

die voorhel hielt gevangen

tot alder tiet wunsten si striet

al dat des hemels poorte

te rieten alle oorte

ende hi afkwaam

die hem benaam

hoor sware pien

ende dat door

dien kuisjonkfroulichs geberen

is afgesteld

daar om di telt

alder werlt een kroon der eren

Maria zart van edeler art

Paula Bär-Giese - soprano

Hans Meijer - soprano lute


Tabulaturen Etlicher lobgesang und lidlein uff die orgeln und lauten, ein theil mit zweien stimen zü zwicken und die drit dartzu singen, etlich on gesangk mit dreien, von Arnolt Schlicken Pfaltzgravischem Chürfürstlichem Organisten Tabulirt, und in den truck in der ursprungklichen stat der truckerei zü Maintz wie hienach volgt verordent.

 

Getruckt zü Mentz durch Peter Schöffern. Uff sant Matheis abent. Anno. M.d.xii.

The miraculous discovery of a statue of the Virgin and Child, when in 1444, a young woman Geertgen Arents from Nykercken came to the town of Amersfoort to enter the Agnieten-Convent. Before passing through the town gate [Camp poort], she took a plain figurine of the Virgin and Child from her belongings and threw it in the water, because she was embarrassed to show the humble work to the sisters at the convent. A few weeks later, another woman, Griet Albert Ghisen, had three successive visions in which she was instructed to go to the canal by the town gate to rescue the Virgin Mary from the water. When she arrived there, the woman saw the discarded figurine lying under the ice which covered the flowing water. She fished it out and took it home with her. After she had told her story to the priest, the statue was taken to the Church of Our Lady of Amersfoort. Subsequently, various miracles attracted numerous pilgrims. Unfortunately, little is left of the miraculous figurine, making it difficult to describe or date it accurately. From what remains one can deduce that it was a very simple statue made of pipe clay.

A c.1525 panel painting, made for the church of Our Lady in Amersfoort, shows the miraculous discovery of the statuette in 1444, but the painter added a church tower, which was not finished until 1470, financed by the pilgrimage revenues.